Give us your support
Visit our page at Just Giving
Visit our page at Just GivingMake a donation now
Join the fun

Useful Info

If you have a child who has been diagnosed with autism, we have put together a few useful links for support, informaiton and advice.

Benefits & Entitlements

Disability Living Allowance

All families who have a child diagnosed with autism are entitled to apply for Disability Living Allowance.  Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after an eligible child who:

For more information on DLA, and how to apply, click here

Carers Allowance

Dependent on your income, you may be entitlted to claim for Carers Allowance, if your child is in receipt of the care component of DLA at middle or higher rate care.

You may get Carers Allowance if:

For more information on Carers Allowance and to check whether you may be entitled to claim, click here

Vouchers For Respite

Perth & Kinross Council, run a Vouchers for Respite scheme which offers the chance to book a few hours respite in the family home, 10 vouchers which are valid for 90 days are issued, each voucher is worth one hour of respite and costs £2.50.  Vouchers are available from the Child Health Team at Perth & Kinross Council and further information on the scheme can accessed here

Cinema Exhibitioners Card

This is a national card that can be used to verify that the holder is entitled to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema.

To apply for the card you will need submit proof to show that you meet one or more of the following criteria:

a) Be in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment.
b) Be a registered blind person.

Further information and how to apply for the CEA card can be found here

Concessionary Travel

Bus - Persons from the age of 5 years, whose mobility is such that they require to be accompanied when travelling, can apply for a Companion Concessionary Card. More information can be found on the website for Perth & Kinross Council

Train - For more information on the Disabled Person's Railcard and eligibility criteria, visit the website


Information and Advice

There are a number of other organisations who offer advice and information to families on a range of issues:

Welfare Rights

The Welfare Rights Team aims to ensure that the residents of Perth and Kinross are not missing out on their entitlement to benefits and other related help by providing a free, confidential and impartial benefits advice, information and appeal representation service

Perth & Kinross Council's Welfare Rights team can be contacted on 01738 476900 or for more information on the services they provide please click here

Independent Advocacy

To enable those people in Perth and Kinross experiencing mental health problems, learning and physical disabilities, frailty or age related problems and Carers to have their voices heard by providing Independent Advocacy so that they are involved in decisions which affect their lives.

Advocacy is provided for (amongst others):

More information on Independent Advocacy can be found on their website or by calling the office on 01738 587887

Perth & Kinross Carers Centre (PKAVS)

PKAVS Carers Services department supports Unpaid Carers of all ages living in Perth & Kinross and their families.
 A carer is a person, of any age, who looks after family, partners or friends in need of help, because they are ill, frail or have a disability and need support to live independently.  This care is unpaid.  An adult carer may be in receipt of carers allowance but this is not considered to be a payment.
Information on Carers Services can be found at PKAVS website


ERIC is the UK's leading childhood continence charity, they can support families with a number of continence issues, click here to be redirected to their website

Sleep Scotland

Sleep Scotland are a Scotland wide charity providing support to families of children and young people with additional support needs and severe sleep problems, families can self-refer directly to Sleep Scotland, more information on the referral process and how their services work can be found on their website


Autism Specific Information

National Autistic Society -

Scottish Autism -

Number 3 - One Stop Shop run by Autism Initiatives in Perth & Kinross for adults over the age of 16 diagnosed with autism/Aspergers Syndrome

PAWS (Parents Autism Workshops & Support) and the Autism Assistance Dog Programme - 

In 2008, Dogs for the Disabled extended its services to help children with autism and their families. Over
the next three years, we are piloting two services to help families with a child with autism to lead a more
fulfilled life:
Autism Assistance Dog service - the provision of a specially trained assistance dog
Parents Autism Workshops and Support (PAWS) - supporting families to get the most out of a
relationship between a pet dog and their child

For more information please click here